The Coronavirus outbreak on a global level has left the world in a state of panic. One of the major factors that make COVID-19 so dangerous is that many carriers of the virus may be asymptomatic, thereby avoiding precautionary measures to avoid the spread of the disease. Social distancing or physical distancing is, therefore, an effective way to protect the public from the rampant transmission of the disease. With the enforcement of social distancing by staying indoors, one of the most difficult conundrums for experts is loneliness; especially for the people who are dealing with issues related to mental health.
However, physical distancing does not mean creating an emotional or mental bridge, thanks to technology. Over the past few years, a lot of people denounced the use of technology, declaring it to be a bane to humankind. But now that humanity is fighting the pandemic, technological advancement is proving to be a boon. Also, the fact that gazing at screens for prolonged periods, has its drawbacks, which cannot be disregarded. On the contrary, the section of people, particularly millennials, attribute their collective loneliness to their reliance on technology. With the boom of social networking, online shopping, and video streaming, the amount of face-to-face interaction has inexorably decreased. Therefore, mental health experts have emphasized balancing day-to-day activities in order to maintain a healthy life while being at home.
Ways to cope with social distancing
Since human beings are gregarious by nature, one of the primary keys to making social distancing bearable is by keeping the prospect of communication with friends and family open. Making phone calls to closed circle for emotional connectivity were passé until the pandemic locked us within the walls of our homes. During this time of distress, frequent checks on the elderly and children are extremely essential as they are the ones who need maximum support and protection. A situation like this is a disappointment for the extroverts and introverts alike. Abandoning a well-planned vacation plan, missing out on business opportunities, losing a much-awaited celebration and rescheduling it leaves everyone overwhelmed. Connecting on a deeper level with friends and family can help alleviate the level of stress that develops from being in solitude and this applies to extroverts and introverts alike.
With numerous gadgets to enhance communication, such as, smartphones, computer or tablet, that work anywhere across the globe with the availability of internet service, the task of virtually connecting is limited to just downloading an Application (App) in the device one is using. Some of the Apps that are being widely used off-late are:
- WhatsApp or Messenger: These platforms not only allow you to send text messages but also aid in making audio or video calls and sending and receiving documents, images, and voice recordings,
- Snapchat: Popular for exchanging short videos and fun messages, the filters installed in the App augments images by adding attractive stickers, voices, emoticons, etc. Also, the App can be used to send and receive audio or video calls.
- Google Duo: One of the most popular video conferencing Apps that allows up to eight people to connect over one conference call at a time.
- Zoom or Skype: These are widely used videoconferencing platforms, used mostly by businesses and schools that enable video calls between people. With the help of these Apps, you can easily host or join live parties virtually and have fun within the safety of your respective homes.
- Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter: These social media platforms have been an all-time favorite for the masses across the globe.
- Video streaming Apps: Apps such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney Hotstar and others have kept people glued to the exciting TV shows, movies and other programs that keep people entertained.
Besides taking assistance from social media platforms as a break from your work from home schedule, investing time in other recreational activities can help adjust with social distancing. Some of the methods include:
- Reading: Experts have suggested that reading helps in the mental, emotional and psychological development of a person. There can be nothing more perfect than spending the days of isolation by pursuing one’s passion for reading. A lot of book reading Apps are available on Play Store and Apple.
- Home workouts or Yoga: Compromising with physical fitness is undoubtedly a big ‘no’, even during the isolation phase. There are numerous YouTube channels that have started live-streaming workout classes without any cost. There are other Apps such as Stay Fit, FitBod, Google Fit that will keep you active and motivated towards a healthy life.
- Online games: If you love board games, switch to online gaming platforms to engage in interesting board games that you are missing out during isolation. Gaming Apps such as Setters of Catan, Minesweeper, Infinity Dungeon, Ludo and others have been made free temporarily for people to engage in recreation.
- Productive recreation: Taking up an online learning course, cooking lessons or browsing through tutorials are effective learning methods that will come handy post-isolation as well. If you are inclined towards App-creation and want to give your business a push by creating a new App, VirtuBox is the solution for you.
How to make an App?
VirtuBox is the first of its kind DIY App and touch screen display solution. It is an innovative cloud-based digital platform that believes in providing its customers with a whole new digital experience that augments virtual reality for global branding/promotion, distribution/logistics and targeting audiences worldwide for marketing and customer support management. People usually ask – How to make an App? Well, VirtuApp, a software developed by VirtuBox, is an easy App maker that assists in creating business mobile Apps to help businesses increase their sales by many-folds to showcase their products to a wider range of audiences. This online App maker can be used to easily build, manage and update your App at affordable prices.
Wrapping up, let us not let the pandemic put us down emotionally or physically. Utilizing our time wisely and holding on to our friends and families during this crucial time will help us lead a normal life within the safe boundaries of our homes, without the fear of catching the virus. And the latest technology and Apps available online can help us connect to the people we care about in these testing times as well as reach out to our customers. You can make use of an App making software such as VirtuApp to turn your idea into reality!